domenica 29 luglio 2012

Old Pentium III 256MB ram brought to life

Some days ago a person, who owns a private philosophy school, asked me if could manage to let a laptop work again. It is an old Fujitsu-Siemens Pentium III with only 256MB of ram. She did not have any hopes since the computer is rather old. I told her I would have installed Fedora LXDE on that computer and I did it. I used a workaround since Anaconda does not allow to install Fedora on computers with less than 512MB ram, so I had to use the command:
liveinst --nomemcheck
Now the computer runs rather fast, and this is the ram usage in idle

[user@computer ~]$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           243        223         20          0         13        127
-/+ buffers/cache:         82        160
Swap:          510          0        510
The following day I returned the computer to her and she liked a lot that she can use again this computer, that in other circumstancies would have been carried in rubbish dump.
Linux best friend of enviroment!
 

2 commenti: